DITRA-HEAT combines the flexibility of loose heating cables with the ease of installation of mat systems. Cables can be placed wherever heat is desired, without creating height differences in the floor. Self-leveling compounds are not required to encapsulate the cables, significantly reducing installation time and effort.
Tile has been successfully installed for thousands of years by incorporating an uncoupling layer, or forgiving shear interface, within the tile assembly. DITRA-HEAT provides uncoupling through its geometric configuration, which allows for in-plane movement that effectively neutralizes the differential movement stresses between the substrate and the tile, thus eliminating the major cause of cracking and delaminating of the tiled surface.
DITRA-HEAT provides reliable waterproofing. Its polypropylene composition protects the substrate from moisture penetration, which is particularly important in today’s building environment where most substrates are moisture-sensitive.
The free space on the underside of DITRA-HEAT provides a route for excess moisture and vapor to escape from the substrate that could otherwise cause damage to the tile covering above. Thus, DITRA-HEAT effectively manages moisture beneath the tile covering.
When placed on a solid foundation, columns or pillars can support tremendous loads. The same physical principle applies to DITRA-HEAT installations. Column-like mortar structures are formed in and between the studs on the surface of the matting. Loads are transferred from the tile covering through these column-like mortar structures to the substrate. Since DITRA-HEAT is virtually incompressible within the tile assembly, the advantages of uncoupling are achieved without sacrificing point load distribution capabilities.
All substrates must be clean, even, and load bearing. Bond inhibiting surfaces must be removed prior to the application of DITRA-HEAT. For complete installation guidelines and warranty criteria, please refer to the downloadable Schluter®-DITRA-HEAT Installation Handbook or to the installation video online.
Note: Type, thickness, and format of the tile or stone surface covering must be suitable for the intended application. Minimum tile format is 2" x 2" (5 cm x 5 cm).
1. Using a thin-set mortar that is suitable for the substrate, apply the thin-set mortar (mixed to a fairly fluid consistency, but still able to hold a notch) using a 1/4" x 1/4" (6 mm x 6 mm) square-notched trowel.
2. Apply DITRA-HEAT to the floor, fleece side down. Solidly embed the matting into the mortar using a float, screed trowel, or DITRA-ROLLER, making sure to observe the open time of the bonding mortar. If the mortar skins over prior to matting installation, remove and reapply. Note: It may be helpful to back roll the end of the matting before installation, or place boxes of tile on top of the matting after installation, to avoid curling.
*When using the DITRA-ROLLER, place a weight (e.g., bags of mortar/grout or box of tile) not to exceed 75 lbs on the DITRA-ROLLER shelf. Slowly move the roller from one end of the matting to the other, slightly overlapping successive passes.
3. Lift up a corner of the matting to check coverage. Proper installation results in full contact between the fleece webbing and the thin-set mortar. Note: Coverage may vary with mortar consistency, angle at which the trowel is held, substrate flatness, etc. If full coverage is not achieved, remove and reapply, making sure to verify proper mortar consistency and application.
4. Abut end and side sections of adjacent sheets. Note: Aligning the studs on the top of the matting during installation can help make subsequent heating cable installation easier.
5. The DITRA-HEAT-E-HK heating cables can now be installed. Installation instructions are covered under the DITRA-HEAT-E-HK product page. Note: Tile can be installed directly over the DITRA-HEAT membrane immediately after the Schluter®-DITRA-HEAT-E-HK cables have been installed using an unmodified thin set. Please refer to the Schluter®-DITRA-HEAT Installation Handbook below for complete DITRA-HEAT system instructions.
Use our DITRA-HEAT calculator to find out what products you need to complete your specific installation.